Amity Matters has been asked by several residents if we would look into some questions they had concerning the 2007 Audit Report. Amity Matters has confirmed that there is an on-going investigation involving the appropriate State agencies. Considering this is an on-going investigation, we will not be reporting on this until there are further developments worthy of reporting. We will try to keep a close eye on this to keep you informed as soon as such developments occur.

Reports from both the Bangor Daily News and Houlton Pioneer Times state that Darrell P. Williams, 53, the former Town Manager of Amity was indicted on one count of theft by unauthorized taking of over $10,000 of the town's funds. The indictment alleges the incident took place between 2005 and April 2007 and that Williams did "commit theft by obtaining or exercising unauthorized control over money, property of the town of Amity, of a value of more than $10,000, with the intent to deprive the town of Amity of property." Neale Adams, District Attorney, is remaining close mouthed about the specific details of the case.

Residents noticed a note in Financial Statements of the annual Town Report for 2008, audited by Davis CPA from Presque Isle, that the town was owed $43,410 by a former employee. The report states the amount comes from improprieties in the bookkeeping practices of the former employee. Pages 22 through 25 of the report state the problems with the accounting practices and lists the steps the Town needs to take to avoid another such incident. It also says that the Town Management has agreed to follow up with Davis' recommendations.

Williams resigned his post as Town Manager in April 2007 after the Selectmen, in the annual Performance Review, expressed their dissatisfaction with several issues. During Williams tenure the Town Office burned twice in less than a week. The debris from the building was taken to to the town's gravel pit and another location where they were burned after the Forest Service told Williams not to burn. The Department of Environmental Protection was contacted by a nonresident landowner concerned about possible pollution. After an investigation by the DEP and Forest Service, the Town was taken to court for "burning prohibited material", found guilty, and fined $100 (plus costs). The Town also was responsible for the costs of proper disposal of the remaining materials. The Forest Service also put a prohibition on any burning by the Town unless approved by the Forest Service.

Williams also served as Town Manager for Oakfield at the same time. Williams quit that job during a dispute with the Selectmen over the town's finances and other issues. During his term, Oakfield also had a problem with burning prohibited materials. Over the Transfer Station Manager's objections, Williams allowed the debris of a house from another town to be hauled in and burned on the site. This was about the same time as Amity's problems with burning building debris.

Williams, now residing in Monticello, has had furniture stores in Houlton, Presque Isle, Lincoln, and also owns Northeast Liquidators in Presque Isle with his two sons, Darrell Jr. and Kyle.

Williams also lists "Minister" as one of his professions. He has had several churches in the area, recently preaching at the Pentecostal Church in Monticello.

Watch for updates as Amity Matters is trying to obtain more information and will print any new developments as they occur.


While Wednesday was quite a stormy day; Thursday, December 18th dawned bright and sunny but cold. Court Day!

Even though I had gone in to town early to visit my Mother (for just a few minutes!) before court, I found myself racing across the School Street parking lot hot on the heels of an equally late lawyer. Both of us tried to scoot through the closing door as court was called to session. Pausing to look for a seat in the nearly full room, I found only two left available. The seat on the right required climbing over several people, so I chose the only other open seat at the rear of the room.

As I walked down the aisle I was pleased to see one of our Selectmen, a former Selectman, and another resident already seated. Reaching the back bench, I asked Darrell Williams to please move so I could sit down. He quickly jumped up and I gratefully slid into the seat still a bit winded.(These old broken knees haven't had to run in a long time and they were protesting their recent ill treatment.)

The judge began calling up the cases and Williams was among the first. Appearing quite nervous as he approached the bench, Williams wisely let his lawyer speak for him. The lawyer said he was new on the case and did not know if a plea had been entered at Williams's arraignment. The judge looked through his paperwork and stated that a "not guilty plea had been entered in July." Asking for a continuance, Williams' lawyer said they were working on a "reasonable" resolution with the District Attorney's office and hoped for a favorable resolution.

The judge asked if the resolution included restitution, Williams' lawyer quickly replied, "Yes, your honor." The continuance allows Williams time to get as much of the restitution money together as he can. After mentioning a future court date in February and receiving a negative reply from both Williams and his lawyer that it would not be enough time, a date of March 11th, 2009 was set.

After the morning session was recessed, I spoke with Assistant District Attorney Pat Gordon about the case. Gordon assured me that no plea agreement has been offered and would not even be considered until after they see the amount of restitution raised by Williams. Gordon commented the amount is so substantial most people would have trouble raising it in a year, let alone about 3 months. This begged the question, "How much is it?" The reply, "Over $40,000."

UPDATE 6/29/09


An email from Assistant District Attorney Pat Gorden was very reassuring to those worried the case was over. He stated, "any plea negotiation has to go through me. There is no deal in place. I will let you know if we work something out."

Gordon has often commented on how slow the wheels of justice turn, "Life is not just an hour tv show." Gordon has also remarked that the Williams' case is really in its infancy considering he is still carrying cases started in 2006. He has said repeatedly that he is not interested in any plea agreement that does not include full restitution to the town. Gordon has also asked for some jail time and probation to follow. As far as a fine, Gordon stated he would rather Williams "focused his resources on paying back the Town than contributing to the State's general fund."

So as it now stands, Willians case is scheduled to be held July 16th at 1 pm at the Superior Courthouse.We encourage residents to attend, if there is no one there to represent the wronged citizens of Amity, it just looks like no one cares.

You may want to come early since the last time Williams was scheduled for the afternoon he had things taken care of in the morning. The seats may be a bit hard (folding up my coat for a cushion made it much more comfortable), but the admission s free and it is the best show in Houlton.


On Thursday July 16th, Amity's former Town Manager Darrell Williams was again in court for his latest hearing. With the Houlton Courthouse renovations nearly finished, the court sessions are held upstairs in the same room of Williams' first court date. The stairwell was lined with people and the small upper waiting area was standing room only when Williams arrived, smiling and looking confident.

A look which quickly faded as someone on the stairs spoke out, "Hello Darrell, I think there's some folks up there waiting for you." Looking up, Williams' saw the faces of several Amity residents looking down at him. Present for the session was Arthur Hall, Odel Fields, Hollis Seamans, Eli Werber and his friend Daniel.

With only a few cases to dispose of, Judge E. Allen Hunter was soon ready for Williams' case. By then, only two or three other people were left in the courtroom; so the residents of Amity were plainly visible.

Just before the case was to come up, Williams' lawyer, Tory Sylvester, came over to Victims Advocate Becky Miller to ask if any of the officials from Amity were present. Miller turned and asked Werber if there were any. Unfortunately, none of our town's elected representatives were present so Werber suggested that Miller call Margaret Frye, Amity's present Town Manager. Frye referred the caller from the Court to Selectman Pat Miller.

Update on Williams' Case


As of today, the case against Amity's former Town Manager is scheduled on the court docket for Wednesday, the 29th, at 9:00 am. This is Darrell Williams final chance for a plea agreement, if no agreement is reached, Justice Hunter stated he would entertain no further negotiations, and the case would move forward to trial.

Amity Matters encourages all the residents of Amity to attend the court session if they are able. On the 16th, the Judge noticed and the DA seemed encouraged by the residents that attended.

This crime was committed against the taxpayer's of our Town, and everyone was hit in their pocketbook. Please attend and show that stealing from a town's coffers is not a victimless crime.

If you enter the courthouse through the Military Street door, turn left and go upstairs. Go straight ahead and partway down the hall you will find an elevator on the right. If you bring along a cushion, the seat's not too hard.


Former Town Manager Darrell Williams due back in court on Wednesday February 17, 2010 at 9:00 AM.

Thanks to an attentive resident, Darrell Williams' latest continuance was shortened by a long stretch. The resident, curious as to why Williams' case was not listed on the December 2009 docket, began calling to find out just when the next court appearance was scheduled. It soon became apparent there had to be a clerical error since Williams' next court date was scheduled for December of 2010! This was rectified as soon as possible, but with the January calendar already full; the next open date was Wednesday, February 17 at 9:00 am.

This case has been continued over and over for various reasons. A trip to the emergency room for "an upper respiratory infection" a couple of days before one court appearance gave Williams' a reprieve, even though there were no restrictions on the discharge papers. The residents of Amity arrived at court only to turn around and go home again. More time out was needed so Williams' lawyer could take a vacation on the River Nile, meanwhile the victims in Amity were still working hard to get by and waiting for justice.

PLEASE come if you can and let the judge know the victims of this crime have not forgotten, nor will they be forgotten by the passage of time.


Williams next court date is March

The on going court saga for former Amity town manager, Darrell Williams, took a turn when it was discovered that a clerical error had extended his case until December of 2010. Once the error came to light, the case was rescheduled for this morning, February 17th, at 9 am.

Today Williams had one supporter by his side; while the same group of citizens who have come to nearly every hearing sat again as a silent presence to remind the court this is not a victimless crime and the perpetrator needs to be punished.

Williams' lawyer Tory Sylvester attempted to give the Victim's Advocate a $2,000 payment for restitution before court convened and asked for another continuance. The Victim's Advocate declined to accept the money; stating that by law Williams needed to plead guilty before she could accept any kind of payment in this case. The ADA declined a continuance.

Once the session started, Sylvester told the court that his client had tried to pay $2,000 in restitution but since the court could not take it he would hold it in an account for his client. He also stated that since the Town of Amity had received an $8,000 check from Travelers Insurance Company (as a payout on Williams' performance bond - "which Williams will have to pay back to them somehow.") along with the $2,000 in his client's account his client only owes a mere $30.000 to the town.


Former Amity Town Manager, Darrell Williams, appeared in court today in an orange jumpsuit and handcuffs after more new charges were laid against him. The new charges include forgery, violating bail conditions, operating after suspension, invalid license, and speeding. Williams spent Wednesday night in jail and will stay there until his arraignment on the new charges on Friday according to a court official.

Today's court session was for Williams' last chance to decide if he wanted to accept a plea agreement or go to trial. Williams chose a trial so today the Judge, the ADA, and Williams' lawyer, Tory Sylvester, will have a conference. Amity Matters will be updated as soon as information concerning the outcome of the conference becomes available.

Williams' wife, Beth Willliams, was in the courtroom today to watch the proceedings. While the same residents from Amity who have attended nearly every one of Williams many appearances were also present to see their former Town Manager dressed in orange and wearing silver bracelets.

Sylvester again asked for a continuance, but the judge denied it saying they would conference today. Sylvester looked very disappointed and Williams was led away in handcuffs to spend another night in the Aroostook County Jail.

Information from a reliable source said that District Attorney Adams wants Willams to have the entire $42,000 owed in restitution or for Williams to plead guilty to a felony.


On Wednesday, May 19, 2010, Darrell Williams plead "No Contest" to the charge of Theft By Unauthorized Taking. The plea is accepted as a guilty plea by the court. The case was continued until October 20, 2010 for sentencing. A court source said, "There is no deal in place... there may be an offer later, but regardless of any pending offer, he's a convicted felon."

Williams was indicted on the charge on May 8, 2008. Williams can now add Convicted Felon to his list of titles, which include former Town Manager of Oakfield and Amity, CDBG Grant Administrator for Amity/Reed Plantation, owner of several closed businesses (fencing, mattress & furniture, logging operation, etc.), Bangor Daily News Delivery Route Driver, Laborer and Preacher.

Unfortunately no citizens from Amity were present to witness the event. Residents who had faithfully attended every court appearance were, for various reasons, unable to attend the session. The citizens who were at court in the morning could not stay when it became apparent that the case was not going to be taken up until sometime in the afternoon.

An email from Victim's Advocate, Becky Miller, informed us that the Victim's Impact Statements have already been filed with the court. One of former Selectman Glen Clifford's acts before passing away was to help write a "Letter from concerned Amity Residents and Tax Payers" that expressed the over all impact of Williams crime on the town.

Williams' lawyer, Torrey Sylvester, said Williams is working two jobs and is trying to get as much restitution together as possible before sentencing. Sylvester has repeatedly stated for nearly a year that he was holding $2,000 in an account. He also repeatedly claimed that was a substantial amount of restitution for the $40.000 owed the Town. Sylvester informed the court that now there is only $800 in the trust account.


From Pastor and trusted Town Official to convicted Felon is a long fall from grace, but Darrell Williams has managed to fall even further with a recent forgery conviction.

Williams entered a plea of "No Contest" to a charge of Forgery on Tuesday, May 25, 2010. The plea is accepted as guilty by the court. This case has been continued for sentencing also. Information is not available concerning the other charges of Bail Violation, Operating after Suspension, Invalid License, and Speeding.

Williams was accused of forging a signature on a sales document for a Millinocket radio station where he worked briefly at the end of last year.

Pessimists say that Williams won't be punished for all of the misdeeds he has done. Optimists, taking the longer view, noted Williams has not met with the ultimate Judge as that court session has yet to be scheduled.

See Comments in Letters To The Editor


Convicted forger, felon, former Amity Town Manager, and Pentecostal Minister in Monticello, Darrell Williams is scheduled to be sentenced on October 13, 2010 at 1 pm for stealing town funds. According to Amity officials, Williams has made two payments of $800 on the restitution owed to the town.


October 13, 2010 was former Amity Town Manager Darrell Williams' day of reckoning for the theft he committed against the citizens of Amity and a Millinocket businessman.

Williams arrived at court looking confident; the previous day his lawyer, Tory Sylvester, had asked for another continuation much to the dismay of the residents who have attended nearly every court date. Since the judge was not in on Tuesday there had been no ruling on his request.

With Assistant District Attorney Pat Gordon running for Senate, soon to be retired District Attorney Neale Adams was present with a new ADA. Adams went over a few cases with the new ADA, then left looking quite pleased. Victim's Advocate Becky Miller sat with the Amity residents explaining the sentencing procedure. She explained to the citizens what the state had asked for sentencing, what the judge takes into consideration when making his decision.

Although court convened at 1pm, Williams' case was not taken up until 3pm. Sylvester said he asked for the motion for a continuance so Williams could continue to work on the potato harvest; Justice E. Allen Hunter said the case had gone on long enough and he was ready to make a ruling. Sylvester then withdrew the motion for continuance.

Sylvester began his defense by stating that Williams was working 3 jobs, one full time for Corey Farms and two part time ones. One as night paper delivery for Bangor Daily News and the other as the preacher at the Monticello Pentecostal Church. Sylvester stated that Williams was making restitution payments to the town at $800 per month for a total of $2800 repaid so far. Sylvester also kept making remarks about the insurance payout to the town and the $8,000 payout should be deducted from the amount owed the town as the town had already recovered these funds.

Justice Hunter would have none of that nonsense, he stated that it was to the town's credit that they had aquired insurance to protect themselves and that Williams would have to pay that back to the insurance company also in time.

The State had asked for a 6 year jail sentence with 3 years probation following release, plus full restitution of the $41,000 he stole from the town.

Sylvester tried to say that there was an error in the court printout,that the charge had been printed twice. Unfortunately, the second printing had to do with the forgery charge Williams plead no contest to. Justice Hunter noted that sentencing on the second charge would be done after the sentencing for the theft charge.

Then Sylvester tried a different track, he asked that Williams only receive probation for his crimes. He stated that many times lately he had read articles in the Bangor Daily of town officials stealing much larger amounts and only getting probation. He cited the case in Newburg where $200,000 had been misappropriated and the thief had only gotten probation. Sylvester claimed that the amount Williams stole was only a small amount in comparison.

The ADA also noted that for a town of 200 people, that are mostly disabled or fixed income, $41,000 is a tremendous amount and placed hardships on the residents.

Justice Hunter asked if any plea deal was in place and the ADA responded negatively. Sylvester then tried to claim he had made a deal with DA Addams. Sylvester claimed he had cut the deal earlier in the afternoon before Adams left. The ADA stoutly denied any deal was made and Victim's Advocate Miller said she had not been informed of any deal.

Then they offered to go downstairs to bring Adams right up and Miller left the courtroom to find him. While waiting for Adams to return, Justice Hunter went over the Victim's Impact statements and the "Plea for Justice" petition signed by 155 Amity residents.

And the clock ticked on, while Sylvester and Williams went over the papers speaking quietly. A much different attitude than the joking and jovial laughter they shared while waiting for his case to be called.

Enter a bemused looking Adams and see Sylvester's jaw drop. Sylvester had appeared confident that Adams was long gone. What an opportunity to hoodwink the new young ADA.

Justice Hunter asked Adams if he had negotiated a plea deal today, Adams smiled and said no. Adams referred to his notes and reminded Justice Hunter that they had offered to defer dispensation of the case if the restitution had been paid by March 3, and again in May he had made an offer, but that was only good if the defendant had repaid the entire $41,000 by those dates.

Justice Hunter asked if it was an open plea, open to full sentencing and noted that the defendant had plenty of opportunity for restitution.

Then Williams spoke in his own behalf. He whined out an apology to the town and the residents he had hurt. He claimed to still have many friends and good neighbors in Amity as it was his home town. He said he admitted to the Selectmen that he had taken the money when they first questioned him and told them it was a great relief off his shoulders to confess.

With a shaking voice, he said he had gone through a recovery program called Celebrate Recovery and did so well that he had obtained a leadership position with the group and had begun teaching the course at his church. No reason was given as to why Williams needed to go to such a program.

Then he began preaching to the judge what a good guy he really was, he had just made a terrible mistake. "Why I could have brought in a whole bunch of people to say what a good guy I am," stated Williams.

Justice Hunter explained the three steps he has to take into consideration when he imposes a sentence. First he has to refer and establish a base sentence, then a maximum sentence, and reasons to increase or decrease the sentence, and see if suspension of some of the sentence would promote the community good.

Justice Hunter noted that this case is a breach of Public Trust made even worse because "the public who suffered the loss were family and friends. This was not an anonymous Theft!" stated Hunter.

With a 10 year maximum jail sentence available, 5 years is the medium sentence. The State has asked for 6 years in jail with all but 2 years suspended, 3 years probation to follow release, and full restitution to the town. Justice Hunter explained he had to take in both mitigating and aggravating circumstances of the case.

On the mitigating (good) side, Williams had admitted his crime and he had no criminal record. On the aggravating (bad) side, Justice Hunter noted that there was significant impact on the victims in many ways such as the embarrassment and shame he had caused the victims. "Better than 75% of the population signed what I can only describe as a Plea for Justice and others wrote Victim's Impact statements," stated Justice Hunter, "Weddings were not recorded, motor vehicle registrations were not right, this caused a number of people significant personal and financial problems. The residents feel a great deal of personal violation because of your actions Mr. Williams"

Justice Hunter also noted, "I see no expression of true remorse in you, Mr. Williams, you seem to continue to be more concerned about yourself than the victims. You are in denial, Mr. Williams, when you characterize your conduct as simply misguided."

Justice Hunter's voice thundered across the room as he loudly stated, "You are a thief, not a misguided person; this was willful and intentional theft!"

Hunter noted that it is a character flaw when you commit another crime while out on bail. Considering the circumstances, Justice Hunter increased the 5 to a 6 year maximum sentence.Then he pronounced a sentence of 6 years in jail with all but 12 months suspended, 3 years probation. 38,200 in restitution to the town must be paid within 30 months of the 36 month probation period at a rate of at least $500 per month. This amount is to be paid to the town, a public entity, before repaying the insurance company. Williams must also pay $25 to the victim fund (that amount was due immediately), and $10 per month to probation services.

Then Williams was sentenced on the Forgery charge. He gave Williams 6 more months in jail for a total of 18 months with the 6 month sentence being served first. Williams must also pay full restitution and 3 years probation. Justice Hunter also informed the spectators that Williams does have the right to appeal this decision, then remanded him to jail.

Sylvester appealed for them to hold off incarcerating him so he could finish working the harvest. Justice Hunter denied the request. Williams handed his keys and what appeared to be a cell phone to his lawyer and the cuffs went on.

We would like to thank Victim's Advocate Becky Miller for all of her hard work, her continued encouragement and communication with the citizens, and mostly for putting up with us. Thanks Becky!

We should also thank Assistant District Attorney Patric Gordon for all his hard work on the case, we wish he could have been there for the ending.

District Attorney Neale Adams, thanks for all your hard work and hanging around until just the right time; enjoy your retirement.

We would like to thank Justice E. Allen Hunter for administering Justice for the citizens of Amity.

Most of all we would like to thank thank the citizens who persisted in attending every court appearance to show the faces of the victims.